Enjoy a financially worry-free retirement
You’ve worked hard all your life; as you near retirement, it’s time to make your money work hard for you. Learn about the government benefits you may be entitled to and how to prepare yourself for financial uncertainty.
Make the most of your entitlement to government benefits
As you approach retirement, you may be eligible for government benefits. These benefits can help to supplement your income or savings and make your retirement lifestyle financially easier. Benefits may include:
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZ Super) – if you’re age 65 and older
- SuperGold card – which gives you discounts and offers from a range of businesses, plus government concessions (like free off-peak public transport) and discounted local council services
- veteran’s pension
- help with housing and living costs – including essential house repairs, rent, board or mortgage payments, rates and rates rebates, and buying household appliances and furniture
- help with retirement home or assisted living costs.
Protect yourself from financial risk
Back in 2007–2009, superannuation funds generally suffered losses due to the global financial crisis (GFC). To protect yourself from a similar situation in the future, you can use strategies to minimise risk, such as:
- choosing low-risk investments
- diversifying your portfolio
- thinking long term.
The best person to help you develop a financial strategy is an Adviser. They can tailor your strategy based on your risk profile, age, and spending needs. Find an Adviser.
Boost your savings with KiwiSaver
KiwiSaver helps your money work harder. Employer and Government contributions work alongside your own contributions to boost your savings. That means KiwiSaver may be more effective than a regular savings plan in helping you meet your retirement savings goals.
How an Adviser can help
It’s a good idea to talk to an Adviser about your retirement savings plan. They’ll bring the right knowledge, expertise and guidance to help you plan for your retirement in the most effective and useful way. Your Adviser will be able to create a plan for you, tailored to your own needs.
Important informationShow more
AMP Wealth Management New Zealand Limited is the issuer and manager of the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme (the 'Scheme'). The Supervisor of the Scheme is The New Zealand Guardian Trust Company Limited.