When sorting out your insurance it’s always a good idea to speak to an Adviser as they can talk you through your options. If you don’t have an Adviser you can choose one from our nationwide network.
How general insurance works
Insurance works by taking out a policy for the things you want to protect - it could be for your car, your home, or all of your material possessions that you’ve worked so hard for. These policies are designed to protect you financially against certain risks and events.
Your insurance is outlined by the policy document which clearly states what you’re covered for and what situations are excluded. Remember to read and understand a policy document even before you buy a policy.
If something does happen, which is covered in the insurance policy, you make a claim for the damage or loss. The insurance company will assess the loss and make payment on a valid claim.
What kind of things can I cover
At AMP, we split our general insurance into categories and you can get cover for most of the things that mean a lot to you. These include insurance for your:
Find out more about the types of insurance we offer.
What happens at claims time?
If something does go wrong and you need to make a claim, the best thing to do is to call your insurer or Adviser right away and they can work through the next steps with you.
Generally the claims process works as follows:
- An unexpected event happens which damages something you have protection for. Generally, the earlier you get in contact with your insurer the better.
- The claims team will discuss with you the event, the impact and in many cases let you know straightaway whether you’re covered under your policy. Having your policy number, and as much detail of the claim (and if possible photographs) on hand when you call usually helps to speed things up.
- A consultant will assess your claim and will get in contact with you after a certain time to let you know the outcome, or they might request some more information. Always remember to ask for expected timeframes to resolve your claim or move to the next step.
- Once approved, the insurer will pay or organise to get things sorted.
- Even if everything goes smoothly, there may be a delay from when you make the claim to until you receive the payment. That’s because insurers generally need to assess every claim request to a certain level of detail so it’s fair for all policyholders.
The value of good adviceShow more
To make sure you have insurance that suits you it’s good to talk to an Adviser. They can help you with understanding the need for cover, share their expertise and experience and help you get the right cover at a competitive price. Advisers can give ongoing help on how to keep your cover relevant over time.
It’s nice to know that just as your life is unique, your protection can be purpose built to address the areas of risk that most affect you.
An AMP Adviser adds value by:
- identifying your priorities
- balancing your risks
- offering options
- sharing their expertise and experience.
They also help by keeping in touch – if the time comes to make a claim, you can call on your Adviser for help. Their knowledge and experience can make all the difference at a stressful time.
Learn more about the value of advice.
Important informationShow more
The provision of cover under AMP policies is subject to the underwriting criteria that may apply at the time.