Man in blue shirt riding bike with girl in stripy top on the handlebars

Contributing to KiwiSaver

Growing your AMP KiwiSaver Scheme balance

The AMP KiwiSaver Scheme is designed to be flexible around the way you contribute. So whether you’re in a permanent job, freelancing, running your own business, or not working at all, there are options for ways to contribute.

You can contribute to the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme via:

Making contributions while you’re working

When you start a job that pays you using the PAYE system, you’ll generally have the option to select how much of your gross salary or wages you want to contribute to KiwiSaver: 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or 10%. If you don’t let your employer know, your default rate will be 3%.

Your employer will make deductions at the rate you choose and pay the funds to Inland Revenue. Inland Revenue will then transfer your funds to your KiwiSaver scheme provider.

When you first join KiwiSaver, Inland Revenue will hold any contributions you make via your employer in an interest-bearing account for three months. Inland Revenue then transfers your contributions and interest to your KiwiSaver scheme provider.

Contributions made after the first three months will automatically be transferred via Inland Revenue to your KiwiSaver provider.

If you want to change your contribution rate, you can talk to your employer.

What KiwiSaver contributions you can expect from your employer

If you’re contributing part of your gross salary or wages to KiwiSaver, your employer also needs to contribute at least 3%, as long as you:

  • have reached age 18
  • have not reached your qualifying date
  • are eligible for compulsory employer contributions.

Your employer may agree to make contributions over and above the minimum compulsory contribution rate, check with them to find out. 

If your employer is already contributing to a registered superannuation scheme for you, you may not be entitled to compulsory employer contributions to your KiwiSaver account as well. Make sure you speak with your employer to confirm if they are already contributing for you.

Find out more by downloading the AMP KiwiSaver Product Disclosure Statement.

You can make regular contributions (in addition to those deducted from your salary or wages) to the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme via direct debit.

Direct debits to the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme can be made weekly, fortnightly, four-weekly, monthly or yearly. Each contribution must be for at least $50.

If you’re already a member of the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme, you can set up a new direct debit, or change an existing one online on My AMP or by downloading the Direct Debit Authority and sending it through to us.

Alternatively, when joining the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme you can complete a Direct Debit Authority (found at the back of the Product Disclosure Statement) and follow the sending instructions at the top of the page.

Download the AMP Kiwisaver Scheme Product Disclosure Statement.

You can make lump sum payments via Inland Revenue, or directly to the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme.

Lump sum contributions to your AMP KiwiSaver Scheme account can be made at any time, but each payment must be for at least $50. The exception is if you pay yourself through the PAYE system. In this case the 3% minimum contribution rate applies.

Making a lump sum payment via internet banking

After logging into your internet banking service to pay via:

  • Bill Payment - enter AMP, select ‘AMP KiwiSaver Scheme’ - we are pre-registered so our account details will load automatically
  • Inland Revenue - use the ‘Pay Tax’ or 'IRD Payments' option - select KiwiSaver member account (KSS).

Making a lump sum payment via cheque

Send a cheque to Inland Revenue. Write your IRD number and ‘KSS’ on the back, then post it to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39 050
Wellington Mail Centre,
Lower Hutt 5045.

As long as you’re eligible, for every dollar you put into KiwiSaver the Government will put in 50 cents, up to $521.43 each year. 

This is called a Government contribution and it is paid directly into your KiwiSaver account. This is in addition to contributions from you or your employer.

If you’re an employee, and have been a member of KiwiSaver for 12 months or more, you can take a break from contributing to KiwiSaver. You could either take:

  • a ‘savings suspension’
  • an ‘early savings suspension’ if you’re experiencing some financial difficulty.

Find out more about ways to use your AMP KiwiSaver Scheme account.

Close up of sand with legs in distance

How to take control of your KiwiSaver savings

Manage your account with My AMP

Log in

Learn more about Government contributions

Ways to use KiwiSaver

Find out more

Important information

Show more

AMP Wealth Management New Zealand Limited is the issuer and manager of the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme (the 'Scheme'). The Supervisor of the Scheme is The New Zealand Guardian Trust Company Limited.

For more information, download a copy of the AMP KiwiSaver Scheme Product Disclosure Statement and Fund Update Booklet, which have been lodged on the Scheme's offers register entry at

While care has been taken to supply information on this website that is accurate, no entity or person gives any warranty of reliability or accuracy, or accepts any responsibility arising in any way including from any error or omission.