This might suit you if…
- you want to stay on track financially if you unexpectedly get ill or injured or undergo a medical procedure
- you want the freedom to use that financial support to cover the costs of what’s really important to you and your family
- you want the flexibility to tailor insurance to your own needs.
Here’s what you get:
- A lump sum payment to use as you need, following specified serious illness, injury or medical procedures.
- The flexibility to choose the level of cover you want, depending on your own individual needs.
- Peace of mind that you and your family will be financially supported in the event of serious illness, injury or medical procedures.
Request a quote online
Fill out your details and we’ll be in touch soon
Financial peace of mind, when you need it most
No one wants to imagine the worst happening but in case it does, trauma cover is your financial safety net. When you take out trauma cover, the benefits are:
- A lump sum payment if you suffer a specified serious illness or injury or undergo a specified serious medical procedure. This can be used for anything you like, not just medical expenses.
- Customisable cover to help meet both protection and affordability needs.
- Inbuilt children’s trauma cover (if selected).
How trauma cover has helped a Kiwi family1
Aroha was 42 and married with two young children when she went to the doctor with a ‘niggle in her back’. After a specialist referral, she was diagnosed with bowel cancer.
With the payment she received, Aroha and Bill chose to pay off their mortgage. This meant Bill could take time off work to be with Aroha and look after their children.
Five years on, she’s doing fine. Aroha and Bill continue to enjoy the security of knowing that even if the cancer returns, they’ll still be mortgage-free.
Am I eligible?
You can apply for trauma cover if you’re aged between 15–60 (with some cover, this extends to age 65).
To qualify for a payment, you must suffer from one of the health conditions as defined in the policy document.
What conditions are covered?Show more
Up to 43 medical conditions and procedures can be covered, depending on the type of cover you choose. The range includes:
- Heart disorders - including heart attack2, coronary artery bypass surgery2, heart valve surgery, primary pulmonary hypertension, surgery of the aorta, angioplasty triple vessel2, cardiomyopathy and out of hospital cardiac arrest.
- Cancer - including malignant tumours and other specified cancer conditions.
- Nervous system disorders - including stroke2, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, Motor Neurone disease, hemiplegia, Creutzfeldt- Jakob disease, muscular dystrophy and meningitis.
- Accidents - including loss of limbs and/or sight, paraplegia, quadriplegia, Diplegia, major head injury and severe burns.
- Body organ disorders - including advanced diabetes2, major organ transplant, chronic kidney failure, chronic liver and lung disease, encephalitis, blindness, coma, deafness, loss of speech, pneumonectomy and benign brain or spinal cord tumours.
- Blood disorders - including aplastic anaemia, occupationally and medically acquired HIV/AIDS infection.
In some cases, cover depends on the severity or stage of the particular condition. For more specific information about conditions that are covered, talk to an adviser.
We are proud of our track record fulfilling claimsShow more
You can feel confident with protection from AMP. In 2014, we paid out $29,377,896 in 275 trauma cover claims to New Zealanders. Our aim is to make the claims process as easy and clear as possible.
- We are upfront about how to make a claim and the timeframes until you get paid.
- We assign one dedicated claims consultant to support you throughout the process.
To read our claims stories and statistics, download our brochure.
Apply for trauma cover
To help you decide what level of trauma cover is right for you, speak to one of our experienced advisers. They’ll be able to help you tailor a plan that will suit your needs and provide you with a quote.
Then you can rest easy, knowing you’re financially supported if the unexpected should happen.