The New Zealand Retirement Trust (NZRT) is our employer-sponsored workplace savings scheme that’s designed to complement your employee wellbeing offering and help your people save for a more comfortable retirement.
Today, more people belong to the NZRT than any other employer-sponsored Workplace Savings scheme in New Zealand.
We have extensive experience helping New Zealand employers design and implement employee benefits programmes. We've helped employers manage the governance and administrative burden of over 600 standalone plans by transitioning them to a superannuation scheme master trust.
Our experienced fund managers will manage your employees’ money and help maximise their savings.
Through our NZRT scheme, we can help you build a plan that suits your organisation and your people. NZRT can sit alongside your KiwiSaver offering, giving your people flexibility and freedom of choice.
This might suit you if you’re...
- interested in attracting and retaining talent by boosting your benefits package
- an employer looking for a Workplace Savings scheme option for your employees, operated by a dedicated team of experienced administrators and investment professionals, known as fund managers
Here’s what you get:
- dedicated support from a team of qualified Advisers who can help you and your employees stay well informed about their investment and other options
- access to an online portal to assist you in day-to-day administration
- an option for members to continue saving for their retirement after they leave your company
We have many investment options available to you, with the ability to split investments across seven different funds which offers employees the flexibility and freedom to choose how they invest their retirement savings. A financial Adviser will work with you to better understand the needs of your business and discuss the applicable costs. Adviser service fees may apply and employers who take up the option may be subject to these fees.
Help your employees save: we will work with you to design your employer plan, including its specific features and rules. You can choose:
- the investment strategies - Choose from various fund options or offer the Lifesteps Investment Programme
- how contributions work - You can set up rules around how much goes into NZRT each pay cycle
- control over ‘vesting’ - You can decide if you wish to have a vesting schedule to determine over what timeframe your employer contributions will vest in your employees
Take advantage of Lifesteps – a hassle-free investment strategy
As part of your employer plan, you can offer the Lifesteps Investment Programme (Lifesteps) which automatically allocates savings to the fund that matches the member’s age over time. This means their savings are invested in the most appropriate fund for a typical investor of the member’s age.
We’ve found when the member is younger, they can generally accept more unpredictable investment returns, in exchange for the potential to earn greater returns long term. However, as they get older, they have less time to recover any losses before needing their retirement savings.
Lifesteps aims to automatically reduce the potential for investment fluctuations as the member gets older.
Our easy to use online portal, Employer Toolbox, allows you to carry out daily administration tasks such as:
- a member / employee search
- viewing member balances and plan balances
- seeing employee personal details and updates if required
- uploading payroll contribution information
- observing frequently asked questions.
Changes to your employee plan
You can agree with your AMP Adviser to make changes to your employer plan at any time. Any changes to the rules of your employee superannuation plan need to comply with relevant workplace savings legislation. This limits the type of changes that can be made without your employees’ consent.
Discontinuing your employer plan
You can end your company’s participation in the NZRT at any time. This would mean that the AMP employee workplace savings plan for your company would be discontinued.
If your NZRT employer plan is discontinued, AMP would transfer your employee accounts out of your company plan and into the Your Plan section of the NZRT.
See how Douglas Pharmaceuticals have partnered with AMP to improve the finanical wellbeing of their people and help them achieve a great retirement.
“We believe supporting our people’s financial wellbeing is just as important as their physical and mental health. That’s why we partner with AMP.”
- Susanne Florian, Head of Remuneration and People Systems at Douglas Pharmaceuticals
NZRT can sit alongside KiwiSaver, giving flexibility and freedom of choice.
Employees can manage aspects of their NZRT account by logging in to our online portal MyAMP. They generally have the ability to:
- dedicated support from a team of qualified Advisers who can help you stay well informed about investment and other options
- access to an online portal to assist you with day-to-day administration
- an option for you to continue saving for your retirement after you leave your current company
We have many investment options available to you, with the ability to split investments across seven different funds which offers you the flexibility and freedom to choose how you invest your retirement savings. A Workplace Adviser will work with you to better understand your needs and risk appetite.
In most cases, when you leave your employer you can transfer to the Your Plan part of NZRT. You’ll be able to keep your savings invested as they are, but can also access your savings when you need them (minimal withdrawals apply). We can even set up regular withdrawal payments for you.
AMP Wealth Management New Zealand Limited is the manager and issuer of the New Zealand Retirement Trust (NZRT). The Supervisor is the New Zealand Guardian Trust Company Limited.
For more information, download the NZRT Product Disclosure Statement and NZRT Fund Update Booklet, ask your employer for a copy of your member booklet, or speak to your Adviser.
While care has been taken to supply information on this website and within the chatbot tool that is accurate, no entity or person gives any warranty of reliability or accuracy, or accepts any responsibility arising in any way including from any error or omission. The content provided is intended to be used as information only and does not constitute financial advice, unless otherwise specified. Before acting on any of the results provided, we recommend that you seek advice which takes your individual circumstances into account.