AMP have been helping kiwis with their insurance for years, and we’ve seen our fair share of natural disasters. We’ve got the expertise and experience to help get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.

What to do during and after an earthquake

Drop, Cover and Hold. This will help prevent you from being knocked over, reduces the chance of being hit by falling or flying objects and protects your head, neck, and vital organs.

Once the earthquake has stopped, follow the advice of local authorities. If you’ve been evacuated, do not return to your property until a local or central authority (such as the New Zealand Civil Defence or the New Zealand Government) has confirmed that it’s safe to do so.

Find out more about earthquake safety.

Making a claim after an earthquake

During natural disaster events we get a high volume of claims which may mean you’ll wait longer for a response.

The quickest way to start your claim is online. Download and complete your claim form, save and then email it to our claims team at

To assist with the prioritisation of claims, please include:

  • the policy number (in the subject line of your email)
  • a brief description of what has happened, such as a natural disaster event
  • photographs of the damage

Dowload our Motor Vehicle Claim Form
Download our Home and Contents Claim Form
Download our Business Claim Form

For urgent claims, we have specialist teams available over the phone on 0508 806 244

Once we’ve received your claim, we will contact you to discuss the next steps. So, if you’ve already made your claim, we’ll be in touch.

If a lot of claims are made after an earthquake, we’ll prioritise customers who can’t live in their homes or are experiencing vulnerability. We’ll have extra support on board so we can help you faster.

We’ll manage your insurance claim details with EQC

To make things easy for you, we will manage your home and land claims on behalf of EQC, so you don’t need to contact them. Once we’ve received all your documentation, we’ll work with you to get your claim sorted and let you know what’s happening every step of the way.

EQC provides cover of up to $300,000 for a residential building. If the damage to your home goes over this amount, your Home insurance will cover damage above the EQC limit up to the amount you are insured for.

EQC also provides cover for:

  • land damage caused by a natural disaster if that damage is under or within 8 meters of your home (or any other outbuildings covered by EQC).
  • land under or supporting your main accessway that is not more than 60m from your home.

To find out more on land cover visit the EQC website for more information.

Need urgent support?

Please reach out if you’re experiencing significant hardship or are in a vulnerable position made worse by natural disaster events, so we can provide appropriate support.

Depending on the policies you have, you might be covered for temporary accommodation. Check your policy wording and get in touch with us to see what support is available.

0508 806 244

FAQs: Home, Contents, Car

FAQs: Business

FAQs: Farm and Rural

The information on this page is of a general nature only and intended to provide guidance about how your claim may be managed. The steps which will be taken to manage your particular claim will depend upon your individual circumstances and your policy wording. Please refer to your policy wording for full details of your insurance cover.