Contents insurance

Get the right cover for your things

Quote or Buy

Need help?

Talk to your Adviser Search
Other queries 09 363 5710
Emergency assistance0800 800 786

Whether you’re a uni student with a few gadgets or a family with heaps of stuff, we make it easy to choose the right kind of contents insurance, easy to get a quote and easy to buy.

Choose your contents cover


Bells and whistles Everyday Plus

Cover for accidental damage, theft and major events like an earthquake, storm, fire or flood, plus cover if you lose your stuff out and about.

Who is this good for?

People with family homes or with more expensive items or who want extra peace of mind.


The basics Everyday

Cover for theft and major events like an earthquake, storm, fire or flood.

Who is this good for?

People renting or just starting to collect a few precious things. Or people who are not concerned about accidental damage.

Legal liability Legal liability Cover for your legal liability to pay for loss or damage to other people’s property. Up to $2,000,000 Up to $2,000,000
Temporary accommodation for tenants Temporary accommodation for tenants Cover for the reasonable temporary accommodation costs if you are a tenant at the insured address, while it is being rebuilt or repaired. Up to 10% of the Sum Insured for up to 12 months Up to 10% of the Sum Insured for up to 12 months
Paintings, pictures, art, sculptures, ornaments and art objects Up to $20,000 each item or set up to $80,000 total Up to $10,000 each item or set up to $50,000 total
Jewellery and watches Up to $2,500 per item or set up to $10,000 total Up to $1,000 per item or set up to a total of $4,000
Portable valuables Portable valuables Portable valuables are contents that are normally carried with you away from the insured address such as jewellery, handbags, wallets, mobile phones, laptops, tablets, sporting equipment and photography equipment. Optional
Home office equipment Up to $15,000 Up to $10,000
Removal of debris Removal of debris Cover for the reasonable and necessary costs to dispose of your damaged contents. Up to 15% of Sum Insured Up to 10% of Sum Insured
Visitor's contents Up to $1,000 Up to $500
Financial transaction card cover Financial transaction card cover Covers your loss (less any amount covered by your bank) if your credit or debit cards are stolen from the insured address and used fraudulently. Up to $2,500 Up to $1,500
Lock replacement Lock replacement Cover for the necessary costs of replacing or recoding locks to the external doors or windows of your home at the insured address if the keys to those locks are stolen anywhere in Australia or New Zealand. Up to $1,000 Up to $500
Costs to re-establish important documents Costs to re-establish important documents For example, replacing jewellery valuations, passports, wills, the land title on your home, driver licenses and marriage and birth certificates. Up to $1,000 Up to $500
Hand woven carpets/rugs Up to $5,000 per carpet or rug Up to $2,000 per carpet or rug
Motor burnout Motor burnout The burning out or fusing of electric motors, in household equipment or appliances which are part of your contents and which are less than 10 years old. Optional
Storage of undamaged contents Storage of undamaged contents If you make a claim for loss or damage to your contents and it is agreed that your undamaged contents cannot be kept at the insured address because it is unliveable, there is cover for the reasonable cost to store the undamaged contents until the contents can be kept at the insured address. Up to 10% of Sum Insured Up to 10% of Sum Insured
Food and medication spoilage Food and medication spoilage Cover for spoilage of refrigerated food, frozen food and refrigerated medicines. Up to $1,000 Up to $500
Contents temporarily removed for up to 180 consecutive days Contents temporarily removed for up to 180 consecutive days Cover if you temporarily remove your contents to a new temporary address or a bank deposit box. Up to 25% of Sum Insured
Identity theft cover Identity theft cover Cover for the reasonable costs you have to pay in trying to re-establish your personal credit history. Up to $1,500 Up to $1,000
Accessories and spare parts Accessories and spare parts Covers loss or damage to accessories and spare parts from cars, trailers, motorised scooters, motorbikes and boats (but not outboard motors). Up to $1,000 Up to $500
Contents in commercial storage
Contents in transit Contents in transit If you are permanently moving to a new address in New Zealand, you have cover for your contents while they are being moved, for loss or damage caused by fire or flood, or by accident or theft of the vehicle carrying them.
Damage from physical injury or incident Damage from physical injury or incident Cover for damage to and/or soiling of your contents as a result of:
  • physical assaults or death (whether by natural cause, suicide, manslaughter or murder);
  • forensic or police investigations into any physical assault or death.
Up to $20,000 Up to $15,000
Fatal injury compensation Up to $5,000 Up to $5,000
Accidental damage or loss Accidental damage or loss Cover for accidental loss or damage to your contents occurring anywhere in New Zealand. (Accidental damage at the home is optional)
Gradual damage Gradual damage Cover for gradual physical damage to your contents resulting from water leaking or over flowing from any internal water system, provided that the damage first occurs during the period of insurance and the water leak or overflow causing the damage was not visible, noticeable, or obvious. Up to $5,000
Contents on common property Contents on common property Cover for your contents permanently fixed on or to common property of your residential complex on the same basis as if they were at the insured address. Up to $1,000
Want to read the fine print? Policy Document Policy Document
Quote or Buy Quote or Buy

Not quite what you’re looking for?

An Adviser can talk you through our full suite of products and help tailor your insurance to meet your needs.

Already have an existing policy?

You can take a look at our policy documents here.

5 things to like about AMP contents insurance

Excess options to shrink your premium

You can reduce your premium by increasing your excess (the amount you pay for each event when you make a claim, we sort the rest).

24/7 Emergency assistance

With AMP contents insurance, you get access to a 24/7 emergency assistance call centre.

The ability to set your own limits

You can increase the limits for your jewellery and watches, hand-woven rugs, and pictures and paintings to suit your needs.

Flexible payment options

You have the option to pay your premium fortnightly, monthly or yearly. Simply select the payment option that best suits you when you purchase your insurance online.

We make the claims process easy

We have an experienced claims team who will support you and keep you updated throughout the journey. Our aim is to make the claims process as easy and clear as possible.

Important information

Show more

AMP Home, Contents, Car and Landlord insurance are issued and underwritten by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited. The above is only a summary of some of the cover provided and is for information purposes only. It is important to note that limits, excesses, terms and conditions and exclusions apply to the cover outlined. Please refer to the policy document for details of the cover. The provision of cover is subject to the underwriting criteria that apply at the time.

A disclosure statement is available from your Adviser, on request and free of charge.