Insure your home with AMP and get a policy packed with great features. Whether it’s the home you live in, your holiday home or rental property, our Maxi home insurance option covers driveways, decks, garages and even swimming pools, up to the Sum Insured. You may also automatically qualify for our great SumExtra benefit.
This might suit you if...
- you want comprehensive protection for your home
- want peace of mind knowing your biggest asset is protected, especially if you qualify for SumExtra
- you’re looking for an insurer who is financially strong and is there for you at claim time.
Here’s what you get:
- cover for the costs to repair or rebuild your home up to the Sum Insured
- the benefit of SumExtra which offers full replacement value if your house is destroyed by fire or other non-natural disasters and up to 10% extra cover for natural disasters (conditions apply)
- choice to have additional cover for your rental property, including loss of rent up to $40,000.
Thinking about renovating, extending or doing a new build?
If you're planning to extend your existing home by contracting a professional to do the work for you, or just plain old fashioned DIY, it’s important to know that your existing home insurance may not always cover the damage when you’re renovating or extending your home. If you’re looking to do a new build, or any structural or major renovations talk to us today about our renovation insurance product called SiteCover.
Save money with our discounts
If you have two or more insurance covers with us, such as contents or car insurance, you may qualify for a package discount. If you have another product with AMP you also get a loyalty discount.
What you’re covered for
With our comprehensive cover (Maxi) you can also make the most of the following benefits.
- Automatic cover for retaining walls up to $80,000 or even more in certain circumstances.
- Cover for landscaping up to $5,000.
- Alternative accommodation up to 5% of the Sum Insured or $30,000, whichever is the greater.
- New building work valued up to $25,000 is covered for certain events.
- Stress payment of $5,000 if your home is a total loss.
For full details, download our Home Plan policy document.
Get a rebuild cost estimate for your property
A rebuild cost estimate can be obtained from a suitably qualified professional1 or the Cordell Online Calculators (a standard Cordell Online Calculator, which gives an estimate based on detailed information you enter about your home or the Express Cordell Online Calculator which gives an estimate using basic details of your home).
Learn more about SumExtraShow more
What is SumExtra?
SumExtra is a top-up cover that makes your AMP Home Plan - Maxi home insurance go further. It provides extra financial help at claim time if the cost of rebuilding your home is even more than your Sum Insured.
How SumExtra works:
- If your home is damaged or destroyed by fire or other non-natural disaster events, SumExtra makes sure you're completely covered for full replacement or repair costs - even if they’re higher than your Sum Insured.
- If your home is damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster (earthquake, natural landslip, volcanic eruption, hydrothermal activity, tsunami or fire resulting from any of these) and the cost of full replacement or repair is more than your Sum Insured, SumExtra will pay up to 10% more than your Sum Insured.
We offer SumExtra because we know construction costs can be hard to pin down to the last dollar and even the most carefully calculated Sum Insured might not match actual repair or replacement costs. SumExtra is our way of making sure you’re covered.
When you have comprehensive (Maxi) home insurance you qualify for SumExtra if you meet this eligibility criteria:
- Your Sum Insured should be at least the value of the home’s written rebuild cost estimate. A rebuild cost estimate can be obtained from either:
- Your rebuild cost estimate should be less than three years old from the date the Sum Insured was last agreed.
- The estimate should be kept in a safe place to ensure it can be produced at claim time.
Learn more about Sum InsuredShow more
What is Sum Insured?
Sum Insured is the amount you choose to insure your home for. If you make a claim that is covered by your policy (and if you’re not eligible for the SumExtra benefit) this is the most that will be paid to rebuild your home. Simply put, your Sum Insured needs to reflect the estimated cost of rebuilding your home from scratch taking into account demolition and debris removal costs.
To find out the estimated rebuild cost for your home you can:
- Seek independent advice from a builder, registered quantity surveyor or registered valuer – make sure it’s a written valuation and is for insurance purposes and does not include any market value component or land value.
- Use one of the Cordell online calculators. Use the Cordell Online Calculator to get an estimate based on detailed information you enter about your home. Or the Express Cordell Online Calculator which gives an estimate using basic details of your home.
Setting an adequate Sum Insured is your responsibility.
If you’re taking out a new home insurance policy with us, you will be required to provide a Sum Insured value for your home.
If you’re an existing customer with us and since 1 July 2013 have not specified a Sum Insured, your policy would have renewed every year using a default Sum Insured value. The default Sum Insured may not be adequate to replace your home including all other structures at your property. It is calculated using a rebuild cost of $2,000 per square metre for your home only.
Your Sum Insured is usually automatically adjusted each year
It’s a good idea to regularly review your Sum Insured and your home’s rebuild cost estimate. We recommend doing this at least every couple of years. You may need to factor in any renovations or extensions and other changes such as inflation, changes in building costs and consumer price indexing.
An annual indexation is applied to the Sum Insured on renewal every year for inflation, however you shouldn’t rely on this as an adequate reflection of any increase in costs.
Get access to emergency assistanceShow more
HELP is an around-the-clock emergency assistance service offered at no extra cost as part of our home insurance policy or any other cover under AMP’s Home Plan.
So even if there’s no insurance claim involved, if you’ve got a problem with a leaking roof in the middle of the night, a broken window, or if you just need emergency advice, we can help.
Make a claimShow more
How the claims process works
- The claims team will discuss with you the event, the impact and in most cases let you know straight away whether you’re covered under your policy. Having your policy number, and as much detail of the claim (and if possible photographs) on hand when you call usually helps to speed things up.
- The claims consultants will assess your claim and may even be able to approve the claim then and there. Otherwise they will get in contact with you to let you know the outcome, next steps or they might request some more information.
- Once approved, we will look to put things right by either organising payment or working with suppliers to get you back to where you started.
Important informationShow more
1. A registered valuer, registered quantity surveyor, building practitioner holding an appropriate trade licence or such other building specialist as we accept.
The above summarises some of the cover provided by AMP's Home Plan and Site Cover policies. It is important to note that limits, excesses, terms, conditions and exclusions apply to the cover outlined. Please refer to the policy wordings for details of cover. The provision of cover under the AMP Home Plan and AMP Site Cover policies is subject to the underwriting criteria that apply at the time.
AMP Home Plan and AMP Site Cover are underwritten by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited.